Cute little FO

A few weeks ago (?) I started sewing a Japanese knot bag out of some cute fabric a friend gave me. I couldn’t get far at that time, due to kids and confusion with the pattern. But today I finished it!

I meant for it to be a project bag, but as soon as it was done, I was heading to the library and stuck my wallet, phone, and keys inside, instead of taking my big (and unnecessary) backpack. It was perfect! Here’s an awkward selfie to document the simultaneous use of handknit sweater, handknit socks, and handmade bag.

Also! Yesterday we went to the beach and the kids decided to wear their recently tie dyed shirts, so here they are in action.


And! My indigo-dyed yarn is finally dry- here’s what they look like.


I’m pleased! Hope you had a good weekend!

A bit of spinning

I’ve barely used my spinning wheel since my carpal tunnel started acting up in February. The pinching motion isn’t great for my hand and wrist. But, due to lots of rest and acupuncture, I’m feeling much better and took out my wheel today.

  
I’m on bobbin 4 of 4, so reaching the end of the singles spinning. Yeah!

Stealthy sewing, and some spinning 

This morning I worked up a quick little project I’d been asked to do for a teacher at the Wee Boy’s school. A certain teacher is having her ten-year anniversary of work there, and the director wants to celebrate her at the upcoming fundraiser.  Therefore, she’ll have this sparkly item to wear:

 

the red felt is verrrry sparkly!


This evening I worked on my current/languishing spinning project, this beautiful tardis blue fiber:

  I still have a ways to go on this project- I’m over half done with the singles, but I’m spinning them pretty fine so it’s slow going. My hand and wrist have had enough spinning (and typing)for tonight so I’ll end here! 

Bears, bears, bears!

Two of my bears have been spotted in Zambia!

 Yves:  
And Wanda:

 
This Friday I’ll be volunteering for a bit at the Mother Bear Project booth at Stitches West, so I thought this year I’d like to wear a bear hat. I found an easy pattern using bulky yarn (I used some handspun doubled), and managed to make the entire hat yesterday.

  
I spun this  yarn from Rambouillet roving that I bought at a (more or less) local farm, so it’s very rustic- lots and lots of vegetable matter.  Doubled, it was perfect for this project although it’s kind of stiff and my carpal tunnel is flaring up as a result of the stiff yarn combined with crochet. I’ll have to take it easy for a bit. 

All in all, it was a good weekend for bears!  I hope you had a good one!

Weekend recap

Well, I’ve figured out my problem with uploading photos to WordPress.  I simply used up all my data!  Luckily that’s an easy fix.  What isn’t an easy fix, however, is that when I try to upload new media here, and open up my Photos file on my iMac, photos taken since mid-December aren’t showing up.  I can’t figure it out.  Ugh.

Anyway, here’s a bit of what I did this weekend:

I’ve been working on spinning 138 grams of ??? fiber, which was dyed by a friend and brought to our 2015 stash exchange.  It’s turning out thin and lovely.

IMG_5849

There was a photo shoot of the owl hat I crocheted for the boy’s preschool’s fundraising auction, which is coming up soon.  I’m also crocheting away at a cute dinosaur hat to contribute as well.

IMG_5851

There was lots of outdoor time as well, of course– lots of playground time and tree climbing.  The weather this weekend was really warm and sunny, so we had to be outside.  I kind of miss the rain, though.

I hope you had a nice weekend!

 

 

Skeining, plying

Tonight I finally skeined the white alpaca I spun last year.  

 
It’s about 561 yards. I have the same weight in brown alpaca, so I hope it spins up similarity so I can maybe do a colorwork sweater or something to that effect.

With spinning on my mind, I started plying the brown singles I recently spun.

With a start like this, maybe I should make some spinning goals for 2016….

 

POP!

The Wee Boy was at school this morning, and the Wee Girl had a friend over to play, so I spent most of the morning with tea and my POP blanket.img_5387

I hadn’t been happy with the dimensions, so I decided to add 6 rows of single crochet before starting the border, which ended up being 3 rows of single crochet.  By late afternoon, I was done, and had just a small bit of the Cascade 220 left.

img_5402

I’m happy with it, I just hope that the bits that stick out will calm down when I block it.

img_5404-2