I don’t know about you, but Election Day and night dragged on forever for me. I told myself to mend a sock anytime I had the urge to check the news. By the end of the day I’d mended almost all my handknit socks.
I started out with my standard knitted patch, but it looked terrible so I experimented with weaving, duplicate stitch, and a very new-to-me concept of a crochet mend. This turned out to be my fave, because it looks like fancy doilies on my socks.
This has also been a reminder of some of the less fortunate yarn choices I made when I was new to sock knitting. The bottom two socks are very silky and beautiful, but have worn through a lot, especially the one on the right.
And the bottom left socks? Somehow I chose a needle that was too big so the socks are loosely knit and ended up as knee-highs, even though they weren’t meant to be.
Overall, it was a very productive day and keeping my mind on mending helped my mental state.
When we first had to shelter in place, and my kids were suddenly with me all day, I definitely felt a lot of stress. I even lost some of my knitting mojo for a bit, and set aside the socks I had been working on in favor of more mindless crochet granny squares.
Well, having finished the big granny square blanket, I finally picked up my Angee socks again, and finished them pretty quickly! I am so pleased with them!
The pattern is Angee by Cookie A. The yarn is Little Skein in the Big Wool House Sock, in the Gotta Give Em Hope colorway. I picked it up at Stitches West in 2019. The rainbow speckles really tickle me, especially now, being stuck at home due to COVID AND fires.
Oh my goodness, I am having so much fun drawing Pokemon spirit animals! Over the past few days I’ve drawn Gengar and Bulbasaur.
I’m experimenting more with the tools in Krita, and have been getting bolder with highlights and shadows. I think my technique has improved! It’s also been a lot of fun researching these Pokemon to find positive traits that would make them good spirit animals. Check out their descriptions on threadless, if you’d like! https://www.threadless.com/discover/s/henryx4
In other news, when I’m not working on my drawing tablet, I’m either reading gardening books or working on my Bring in the Clowns socks. They’re coming along great- I’ve finished the first and am increasing for the toe-up gusset on the second.
The toe-up gusset is pretty interesting. I’ll share better photos of it when both socks are done.
I just love how the rainbow yarn contrasts with the black to mimic stained glass. It reminds me of Saint Chapelle chapel in Paris, or Grace Cathedral in San Francisco. I also like how they are extra tall! I asked for Doc Martens for Christmas, and I like to wear long socks with them so the boots don’t chafe my legs. These will be perfect.
This evening I finished a sock, aside from the afterthought heel.
I’m using three leftover balls of blue from three different sock projects (hey Marissa, maybe you have enough blue socks now….?), and the yellow/green/blue is leftover yarn from a pair of Monkey socks. I’m using every last bit of two blues, but I’ll still have yellow and the toe/cuff yarn left.
I started the second sock right away, because I have a deep-seated fear of Second Sock Syndrome. I almost always knit my socks two at a time to avoid SSS, but because this was travel knitting, I wanted it to be simple, fun, and somewhat instantly gratifying. PS the metal needles didn’t make any TSA agents bat an eye.
Do you prefer one or two at a time when it comes to sock knitting?
Hm, that title makes me think that I may have too much Dr. Seuss in my life. Nah, no such thing! 😂
Anyway, moving on…. tonight I am so pleased to announce that I have finally finished the socks requested by my husband back in….(runs off to check Ravelry) January! Maybe even earlier, because he chose the yarn from Webs, and it had to ship from Massachusetts, blah, blah.
Here they are!
The pattern is Mr. Pitt’s socks (any Seinfeld fans out there catch the reference?) and the yarn is Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light in color 4207, Salt and Pepper. As usual, I used Magic Loop, in order to have them done at the same time and be identical without having to take copious notes or think too much. 😜
With these off the needles, I’m itching to start a new pair for myself with this yarn:
This is the only yarn from Stash Exchange 2015 that I haven’t used yet, and my personal goal was to use all my stash exchange yarn (at least use some of each skein) by this year’s exchange. I’m cutting it close!
I also have the personal goal of not letting repeat offenders return to the stash exchange. So this skein really needs me to knit it up! I’m thinking toe-up to make the best use of the yardage, and simple stockinette so whatever pattern emerges (if any pattern emerges at all) will show. Wish me luck!
I’ll have you know it’s quite tricky to satisfactorally photograph one’s own knit-clad foot, especially at night. It was interesting to note that I only used blues and purples in this skein of Noro, and I didn’t reach the red/orange at all. I suspect a small person may end up with a pair of stripey socks…
Oops, didn’t hit “publish” last night, which explains my two posts in a row. I’m nearly at the heel! The changing colors really keep me going. I only stopped because I need to finish my spinning project.
Thankfully, the pattern calls for a short-row heel, so the rainbow-y gradation won’t be interrupted. My challenge was to start the heel before I reached the purple on the Noro, so the heel would stand out.