A daylight photo of my 600+ yards of Rambouillet! It fluffed up with washing, but still has a ton of VM.
Plus the leftover bit that I plied with some commercial sock yarn. This didn’t work as well as last time I did it. I’m wondering why. Did I over-ply? Were my handspun singles too thick? Was the base yarn of the commercial yarn different? This one is more springy and less uniform. It still has potential, though….
I need to frog a section of my Tiny Tea Leaves cardigan, sadly. I’m annoyed that K2k1f/b apparently does not mean knit two, knit the next stitch through the front and back, but rather knit ONE, then knit the next f/b. Is it just me, or is that wrong? I’ll sleep on it…. At any rate, it’s not a huge section to rip back, and I will actually be happy to use up more of my handspun on said section. I’ll need to figure out something to use the leftover handspun. I was thinking a cute bow accessory or something….?
Today I had plenty of time to wind my four bobbins of plied Rambouillet. Here it is skeined up, fresh off my niddy noddy. It is about 682 yards.
Then I gave it two baths in Eucalan. I used very warm water, because it was such rustic fiber. It plumped right up in the water! Plenty of vegetable matter washed out, and more came out when I slapped it against she shower walls (to set the twist). It’s now drying, so a photo of the finished yarn will have to wait.
I had a bit left on the last bobbin, so I plied it with some leftover sock yarn. I might have over plied it, because it curled up a bit after winding. It’s taking a bath now, so I’ll find out the result tomorrow!
I’m over half done with my Rambouillet spinning. Tonight I filled these two plump bobbins with my plied singles. I have to say, spinning fiber that has a ton of vegetable matter in it isn’t a ton of fun. I think in the future I’ll stick to less, shall we say, rustic fiber. I am super interested to see how it looks after a good wash, but I’ll let it rest on the bobbins for a night. I hear this helps to set the twist. I also hope to remove more of the VM!
In other news, these two cakes of Berroco Ultra Alpaca have been begging to be knit up. I tried them in a Noro Striped Scarf, but they didn’t contrast enough.
The other day I was putting them back into the stash, and they ended up next to this skein of Lamb’s Pride, and I thought they might like to be together!
I am trying to figure out if they’d like to be a Color Affection shawl or a Robin shawl. I already have both patterns and have been waiting for the right yarn and the right time…
With some unexpected free time today, I decided to see this bag to house a sketchbook and a few other activities for a 6 year-old’s birthday present. I’d had the cute dotty fabric and green gingham for some time, but hadn’t thought of pairing them together, but I’m glad I did.
Afterwards, it didn’t take much time at the spinning wheel to finish up my fourth and last bobbin of this brown Rambouillet. Now I can start plying it!
I also made some progress on my Serenity socks while we watched a documentary about humpback whales this evening. 🙂