Honeybee cardigan, THIS close!

I’ve been working pretty steadily on my Honeybee cardigan, when time and attention span have permitted. Today I reached a milestone; the point where I’m done with any decreases and just have to do several sets of short rows to shape the front and back shoulders.

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/ef3/62319461/files/2014/12/img_7374.jpg
Phew! I tried it on, and the fit is weird but I’m attributing that to the fact(s) that the short rows aren’t done and the top part hasn’t been blocked yet. AND there will be button bands and a neck edging… Fingers crossed!

Sleeves!

Oops, I didn’t mean to take two days off from blogging, but Thursday was the Wee Girl’s Christmas pageant, and last night the Wee Boy was sick.

In knitting news, I have been knitting diligently on the sleeves for my Honeybee cardigan.

IMG_7111.JPG
They’re about 4 inches from reaching my underarms, and I’ll leave them a tad short because I believe they’ll grow some with blocking. Good progress!!

NaKniSweMo….

Oh my, I somehow thought it was still the 20th of November or so. No way will I finish this cardigan in November, but I’m still making some serious effort! I’m up to 10 inches. I think I’ll block (on the needles) at 14″ and see if that’s long enough.

IMG_6910.JPG
I have hopes that this sweater will grow quite a bit with blocking, which would be great, because knitting it isn’t that much of a treat. It’ll be pretty, though.

Honeybee progress

My new sock project is so much fun, and goes so quickly, but I felt I was neglecting my big November project, my Honeybee Cardigan! Yesterday is looked like this:

IMG_6758.JPG
But after working in it through some “sick” time, as well as a few movies with the kids, now it looks like this:

IMG_6797.JPG
Now I’m seeing some progress, and I’ve finally gotten into a groove with this pattern. I don’t have high hopes of actually finishing this in November, but if I keep this rate up, I’ll have a really good chunk of it done!

Slow going

The honeybee cardigan is not a quick knit! After about 5 days, I only have a few inches done, and there has been some major sick day movie watching going on!

IMG_6568.JPG
In conclusion, I think this was a good choice for my NaKniSweMo knit, because, even if I don’t finish, at least I’ll get a good amount done. Also! If you are considering this pattern, I highly recommend lace-tip needles! With less sharp needles, this would be even slower…

Two sleeves!

The wee boy skipped his nap today, so bed time was at a lovely, early hour, giving me plenty of time to knit.  I was able to finish the second sleeve of my Alpengluhen cardigan!

Sleeve #2!

Sleeve #2!

I don’t know if it will be noticeable, and at this point I don’t exactly care, but because the Madeleine Tosh yarn is hand-dyed and each lot is different, etc., etc., I alternated skeins for the body.  However, by the time I got to the arms, I was tired of twisting and untwisting the skeins, so I didn’t alternate.  One arm might be a little lighter than the other, but I don’t think I’m going to care.  

Next up, neckband, then buttonbands!  I hope to at least get the neckband going before knit night tomorrow, so I won’t have to think too much, and will be able to visit with my fellow knitters.  😉

Measuring up

My Alpengluhen sweater is almost at the point where the body isn’t knit all at once (it’s bottom-up), so I’m obsessing about length. I’m supposed to knit 13 1/2″ until separating the back from the fronts, so I’ve measured several of my much-worn hand knit sweaters. They tend to measure about 13 1/3″, hem to underarm, and although I’m just about at that length, it seems so short! I even measured the WIP against not one, not two, but three sweaters just to make sure it was long enough!

20140625-221246-79966209.jpg
I’m knitting a few more rows, just to make sure, but not too many, because it will grow!

In other news, I skeined up my plied handspun from A Verb for Keeping Warm (colorway Tigerlily), and it’s pretty!

20140625-221454-80094269.jpg

20140625-221454-80094982.jpg
I thought it would be interesting to show you photos of before and after washing. The above photos are all pre-washing.

Now it’s drying, and it has definitely relaxed and plumped up! Before washing it looked slightly over spun in places, a bit kinky, and didn’t fall straight down when held up. Post-bath, it’s fluffy, softer, and looks less stressed and falls straight down, as I’ve read that a balanced skein will do. Photos of that tomorrow!

The bright side

I had this funny thought this evening, about how, in the morning, I often wish I had time to put on make-up, but at the end of the day I’m so tired that washing it off is annoying. So at the end of the day (so to speak), it’s actually better that I don’t wear it.

At least I have time for knitting! The wee girl’s Tiny Tea Leaves is coming along, with just a few rows left before separating for the sleeves. I’ll have to find something to do with that last little bit of handspun.

20140312-213507.jpg

I finished the gusset decreases on my Serenity socks, not that you can tell from this photo….

20140312-213622.jpg

And while the wee boy slept…

20140312-213728.jpg
I picked up yarn to make him a Gramps cardigan (by Tincanknits). He wanted the same colors as in the pattern, but I don’t want to use Tosh for such a rough and tumble guy who’s going to grow out of it soon, so I went with Berroco Comfort.

20140312-213925.jpg
As soon as the wee girl’s cardi is done, I’ll cast one! Ohhh, Startitis doesn’t usually get to me like this!!