DIY Moana

Yesterday a friend mentioned that she and her daughter might attend the Moana singalong today at the Castro Theater. I thought that sounded pretty great, so after dinner last night, I got to work on outfits for me and the kids. I managed to make everything from materials I had in my craft supplies, etc. I didn’t spend a penny!

I started with Moana’s flower crown. I cut leaves and flowers, hot-glued them into some elastic, and added details with puffy paint.


Next was Moana’s top and belt. I trimmed and hemmed a red scarf (left over from our Dr. Who Halloween!).  Then I painted the prints and sewed beads on to stand in for the shells.



First I sewed Velcro along the back edges, but it was too saggy so I inserted elastic into the top casing. The skirt is a white scarf from Goodwill- it had been intended for a costume in the past but we had ended up not needing it. Lucky!


The Boy was going to be Maui, and I sewed him a leaf skirt last night, but he changed his mind to be Hei Hei. O-kaaaaay, so I improvised his costume with felt, elastic, hot glue, and face paint.  The head piece was the most challenging part, but I ended up using a stiff piece of felt, curved the bottom to match the curve of his head, and sewed it onto a piece of elastic.  I cut out chicken feet and talons and pinned them onto his jeans.  There were very few Hei Heis at the singalong, so he got plenty of attention.


I tried to channel Moana’s grandmother with her hairstyle and basic fashion, with a flower made of felt and a sarong I bought in Bali years ago.


Voila! Last-minute DIY Moana and friends!

Batman!

Today the new Batman Lego movie came out, and as the Wee Boy is a huuuuuuge fan, we decided to go see it right away!  I didn’t think ahead about preparing something fun to wear for it, but luckily I had felt and about 30 minutes.

I found this pattern online- http://athousandphases.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/make-your-own-batman-mask.html but instead of  craft foam, I machine-sewed together two layers of craft felt, because that’s what I had on hand. It worked just fine- the ears stand up and because I did edge stitching, it should hold up okay.  I made one mask per kid. Also- I enlarged the template about 160%, if I remember correctly.  Black elastic would have been cooler, but again, I happened to have white, so it had to suffice.


The Boy wore all the Batman gear he could come up with, then I added the cape (from his Darth Vader costume two Halloweens ago). He looks serious here, but he had the best time!


The movie was good! I’ll confess, though, that after waking up at 6:30, food and kid prep, morning school traffic duty, school drop-offs, my weekly volunteer gig, school pickups, grocery shopping, last-minute crafting, etc., I was pretty tired and actually slept on and off for a while during the middle.

Shhh, don’t tell the kids, and also please cross your fingers that they don’t ask me too many questions about the movie… 😉

Mystery KAL

I have been working on my new mystery KAL hat bit by bit, and it’s going fine. There are a lot of the twisted stitches, which are not good for me, so I’m using my cable needle. 

I can’t show you much because it’s a mystery KAL and my friends might see this. But this won’t spoil anything.


In other news, today was the girl’s last baseball game of the summer. She had a rough start and wanted to quit, but she stuck it out and ended up having a really good season. I’m proud of her.

as you can see, summer in San Francisco is cold and foggy. I myself was wearing a down coat and hand knit gloves, and I was still cold.


Outdoors, UFO

We spent another good chunk of the weekend in golden gate park today- exploring, climbing trees, burning off excess energy…

 

massive tree

  

these kids will climb anything!

  

these workout stations are great for energetic kids!


And I squeezed in a bit of UFO knitting. Poor Trillian has gotten very little attention, due to 1) more exciting projects and 2) carpal tunnel. #2 is really the bigger cause, because the smallish size 4 needles tend to hurt me more than, say, a size 8, and I can only do a row or two at a time. Slow going!!
  
But a row or two is something, anyway.

Wee sweater, modeled!

The Wee Boy’s sweater was finally dry today, and we had some nice outings that provided good backgrounds for FO photos.

 

botanical gardens in golden gate park

  
  

our favorite library

 
I thought it might be a tad fitted, but it turns out he has plenty of room to grow!

As a bonus, the Girl wore her Wonder Woman sweater, so I got a few good shots of it as well.

   
 

Wee sweater

The Wee Boy’s sweater is looking good! It looked like this yesterday: 

 
Now I’ve picked up the button band/shawl collar and have knitted four rows.  Yeah!   

Because his last hand knit sweater was lost, he’s very concerned about me putting his name in this one. Good kid!

Now for fun, a few pics of an afternoon in golden gate park: