I have 4 bobbins full of singles!
I finished spinning, then plying the two different Merino rovings that had been languishing in my fiber closet for ages.
They looked very pretty plied together, still on the bobbins. But after giving them a bath and (accidentally) leaving them in front of the bathroom heater all night, the yarn plumped up and became really lovely and squishy! I had expected more of a DK yarn, but it’s so plump that it’s at least a worsted weight. I’ve never had a handspun fluff up like this before, and I just love it!
According to my count as I wound the yarn onto my niddy noddy, I should have about 440 yards of fiber, as long as it kept its yardage during washing and drying.
I’ve changed my mind about the destiny of this yarn. Originally I thought I’d stripe it up in a cardigan, but 1) it’s so pretty and fluffy that I want it wrapped around me like a cowl or shawlette, and 2) the rambouillet that I’ve started spinning that was meant to be the main color of a stripey cardigan along with this handspun is not worthy to be placed next to this gorgeousness. The rambouillet is turning out very thick-thin and is chock-full of vegetable matter, so it will become something else entirely.
At any rate, I’m doing great on my goal of spinning my stash! Next I suppose I’d better pledge to knit my stash of handspun yarn!
Although I’m not really one to make New Year’s resolutions, I do like setting a few fiber-related goals (I confess that this is because of my knitting group’s blog!). My big goal for this year is to spin up ALL of my fiber stash. It’s not a ton of fiber, but it’s enough that it takes up a little more space than I’d like, some of it has been around for a bit longer than I’d like, and I want to have it spun up and knitted!
To this end, I’m well into my biggest spinning project. I’ve taken two braids of roving that I bought at Urban Fauna Studio a long time ago. One is white/brown (Girl on the Rocks Merino, the colorway is Ceylon), the other is white/pink (Busybee Fibers Superfine Merino, colorway Sand Dunes). So far I’ve spun it all up and am ready to ply them together. It will be a good amount of yarn, but to make it stretch even further, I’m also going to spin 13 ounces of Rambouillet that I bought at Meridian Jacobs farm a few years back to use with it. I’m hoping to find a striped cardigan pattern that calls for (what I suppose is going to be) DK to light worsted weight yarn.