Last spring I crocheted a Baby Yoda and his space pod for my nephew. I really wanted a Baby Yoda for myself, and over the past week I finally made time to make it!
This time I decided to also make his soup bowl. The buttons on the pod are a little off-center so maybe I’ll add one more to even it out.
The second everything was done, I took him outside (twice) to get some nice shots of him in nature.
This pattern is by Ami Amour on Ravelry. I love it because it’s free, very clear and detailed, and she has step by step videos for the entire pattern. This was super helpful for me, because my first attempt at the ear turned out crazy. But when I crocheted along to the video, it came out great.
I feel like a kid with a new toy, you know? When it’s brand new and they want it with them at all times. I want Baby Yoda to accompany me all around the house. 😆
The other day I was working steadily along on my Godzilla cross stitch project when I suddenly realized I’d used the wrong shade for a good portion of his body!
Some family members tried to convince me to let it be, that it could be a unique version, but I’m a pretty Virgo-ish Virgo, so I spent yesterday and today’s crafty time pulling out the wrong color. Boy, was it tedious! But it was worth it, even though it was more stitches than I’d thought.
I don’t mind the redo too much, because the thread I’d mistakenly used was way too blue and would have bothered me. It shouldn’t take too long to fix, then I only have the words to stitch at the bottom.
Having wrapped up a few knitting and crochet WIPs, I’ve taken out a cross stitch pattern that I haven’t worked on in ages. This time I’m determined to finish it!
It’s a very silly piece that, when finished, will include a helicopter and the words “May Godzilla destroy this house last.” I bought the pattern on Etsy. It was very reasonable, especially because this is the second one I’m making.
I used to do so much cross stitch in high school and college, but back then patterns were more “country cottage” style, so I eventually stopped, aside from a little project now and then. Now, however, there has emerged a new genre of geeky and subversive patterns that have drawn me in again!
Is there and art or craft form you’ve rediscovered?
Last night we hosted the tiniest Harry Potter-themed New Year’s Eve party. We had Harry, a witch, a dementor, pumpkin juice, sausage rolls, and a viewing of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. It was fun!
Today we started the new year off by seeing Rogue One for the second time.
Tonight at knit night I started and finished a tiny Gryffindor scarf bookmark- a birthday gift for a fellow Harry Potter fan. I did the fringe when I got home.
The pattern is from Charmed Knits, Projects for Fans of Harry Potter. I used DK weight yarn, so it’s a bit thicker than I’d like, but I didn’t want to but yarn for such a small project so I made do with stash yarn (mystery red cotton, yellow Silky Wool). I think the recipient will be pleased!
One of the fun things about having kids is the number of Halloween-related events, well, assuming you like Halloween and costumes as much as I do! Today was our first event of many, and we were excited to debut our new, or in Leia’s case, slightly improved, duds.
I got carried away with adding more and more details- I was actually sewing things onto my outfit in the car to and from the Wee Girl’s soccer game this afternoon.
an important detail
The Boy’s costume is all DIY/regular clothes except for the mask and light saber, which I bought.
The Wee Girl’s outfit is from 2 years ago, but she insisted on being Leia again. But this time around I bought her some new boots.
I’m so pleased with how this turned out! I thrifted/up cycled/made the entire outfit, and was working on details up to an hour before our event.
I came up with more details for the belt this morning. Hot glue gun to the rescue!
We met an Ewok at the party!
Darth Leia on the way home.
We have a Star Wars event tomorrow, so we’re excited to wear our outfits again and to see what getups others come up with!
Today I had some frustration working with faux leather.
This is the back side- hemming didn’t work out, nor did just sewing the layers together with no finishing. The top layer tended to stretch, and the layers didn’t want to move forward in my sewing machine. I gave up and used my hot glue gun, but I’m not satisfied. Any ideas???
Felt is almost always good to me, however, and I was happy with my one last addition to the Wee Boy’s costume.
It’s no secret that I like costumes, making costumes, and any reason to wear costumes! This year, both kids have decided on costumes from the same theme, so I decided to join in and dress up as a character I’ve been wanting to cosplay for some time. I bet you can guess our theme/characters, even though these pics only represent 2/3 of us.
For myself and the Wee Boy, this is about what I have so far (my outfit is actually nearly done, but not attractive to photograph in pieces). I’ve been scouting Goodwill stores for the pieces, since a) don’t want it to cost too much, and b) want them to last, since we will be using these outfits for more than just Halloween!
Tonighy I’m hosting my first sleepover as a mom. So far the Wee Boy is asleep, but the girls sound like they’re getting rowdier instead of quieter. Hmm.
I managed to convince them to do one short craft with me- we made ponytail holders!
After making a pair apiece, they were done. So I worked on my secret project (which won’t) be finished by my birthday, sadly. I just don’t have the time to work on it much these days.
But I have had some time to knit away on my Trillian scarf. It’s slow, but I can see some progress.
I’m not sure what’s issue is, I guess yarn + needle + pattern combination (slippery yarn, slippery needles, garter stitch) this project irritates my carpal tunnel syndrome, so I can’t do much at a time. A little progress is better than none!