A few weeks ago (?) I started sewing a Japanese knot bag out of some cute fabric a friend gave me. I couldn’t get far at that time, due to kids and confusion with the pattern. But today I finished it!
I meant for it to be a project bag, but as soon as it was done, I was heading to the library and stuck my wallet, phone, and keys inside, instead of taking my big (and unnecessary) backpack. It was perfect! Here’s an awkward selfie to document the simultaneous use of handknit sweater, handknit socks, and handmade bag.
Also! Yesterday we went to the beach and the kids decided to wear their recently tie dyed shirts, so here they are in action.
And! My indigo-dyed yarn is finally dry- here’s what they look like.
Today we went to a friend’s house for socializing and dyeing! I was very excited for this, because I’d been wanting to dye some white handspun and overdye some bright green handspun that I have never gotten inspired to knit up.
copious use of rubber bands here.
There was dye made from yellow flowers as well, but I chose to use only indigo. Compressed results:
4 skeins of yarn, 2 bits of fabric,1 pair of socks, and 2 t-shirts. I’m so pleased with all the results! I’d hoped the green yarn would end up more of a blue, but the forest green is better (to me, at least) than the neon green!
Now I really want to try more tie-dyeing! I felt like I was a teenager again, working on my 4-H projects for the county fair! 😜
Well, last night I was. It was a super long day, started with an unintentional 80+minute workout at the gym. Kitchen Nightmares was on– two back-to-back episodes! I couldn’t step off the elliptical until I knew the restaurant would be ok. Phew.
Then I spent 3.5 hours in the emergency room with the kids. The Wee Girl fell on the playground and lacerated her knee. She was incredibly brave while getting 5 stitches and is doing fine, but it was a doozy of an afternoon!!!
And thus, I was so tired I went to bed at 9:30 last night having knit perhaps a few rows of a hat. Today was better, but I’m residually tired. I’m almost done with a cute hat, though!
It’s a slightly downsized version of Turn a Square. This will go toward my 2015 charity knitting goal.
In other news, my dyed roving and yarn are dry and I managed to take a few pics today:
The red really is almost as bright as it looks here. I think striping should help calm it down , don’t you?
I’m not sure how it came about, but this evening I ended up dyeing my recent handspun and some BFL roving with the last of my Kool-aid stash. Just in time, too, it seems, as some of it was hardened!
The red (about a pound of fiber) is four packets of Tropical Punch and two Cherry. It looks very pretty so far, not as bright as in this photo, but it’s kind of hard to tell with the night lighting. I’m picturing it striped with a dark blue…. Color Affection, maybe?
The lime (8ounces of BFL) is two packets of lemon-lime. It’s not too bright, and the kids really want scarves from the eventual yarn.
It was fun, but now my apartment smells a little funny from the dubious contents of the packets. :0
In other spinning news, I realized I’m so close to my goal of spinning all my stash (as of Jan 2014!) this year! I only have three spinning projects left, and it looks like I also have some dyeing to do. 🙂 The Merino will be nice and easy, the green is the last of the Easter dyeing session (rough fiber, but it turns out ok with effort), and the locks… I don’t know! I’ve never spun locks, and they’ve just been hanging out in my stash, waiting for me to be ready for them. I’ll just have to jump in and try spinning them!
After our egg dyeing, the kids and I dyed some roving! I told the I’d knit them each something from their work.
First, the eggs:
I didn’t do a fantastic job with them- first we tried the safe food coloring we had from Whole Foods, but it didn’t seem to be doing much, then I remembered I had Easter egg dye that a friend left me when she moved last year. So we dropped the pellets into the containers with the eggs. The fizzing made weird bubbles on the eggs, so I rinsed the eggs off and put them back in. Not very scientific, but the colors were nice.
For the roving, the wee boy chose green, the wee girl chose pink , and I chose three colors then at the end I emptied the yellow on top. I regretted it right away, but it ended up a lovely gold.
I’m definitely more likely to spin this up now that it’s colorful!