This evening I worked steadily on the sachets I’m making for the Wee Girl’s classmates. I used scraps from her class quilt, so that each kid will have a small part of the quilt they all worked so hard on.
i’m pretty sure that stuffing them with lavender calmed me down and kept me from losing my temper all afternoon/evening!
they’re all slightly or very different.
the backs are all the same, though.
There was still lots of fabric left, so I whipped up some lavender and flaxseed eye pillows for the teacher, assistant teacher, and the principal, who went out of her way at the fundraiser to tell me how much she loved the quilt. I think she’ll enjoy having a small piece of it as well.
The end of year party is tomorrow, so I hope to pass these out at the end. I can’t wait to see the kids’ reactions!
Remember last night when I signed off, off, saying that I was going to watch a movie and knit? Well, I didn’t.
You see, I’d had a stealthy sewing project in mind, but I had to finish the quilt first. Last night was the perfect chance to get at it!
Remember the wee girl’s class quilt? Well, some of the kids were so sad that only one of them would end up with the quilt in the end, so I thought it’d be nice to make a little something with the leftover fabric- one for kid, so they’d each have a piece of the quilt in the end. I started by sewing small pieces of scrap fabric together.
Then the smaller parts were sewn together until I had a nice big piece. I cut 5″x5″‘squares and eventually had…
21 squares pinned and ready to sew up:
The sewing of the squares took much less time than preparing all the fabric. In the end, these will be sachets- next I’ll fill them with lavender, then sew them up! Part of the fun is that they’re all different! I think the kids will like them!
I finished my very special quilt tonight! I’ll just give you a few sneak peeks in case the recipient happens to see this blog.
I decided to sew diagonal lines across the squares instead of vertical lines like on my last quilt, or all-over quilting. I haven’t tried the all-over style yet- I’m intimidated by it, don’t know how that would work with my Singer Seventy, and also wonder if it takes forever? I need to maximize my craft time, so I go for simple/efficient when I need to.
Here I was about to start pinning the binding.
And here it’s all finished. If you look closely you can see that I didn’t bind by hand. Honestly, I want my quilts to be used and loved, and I want them to last. I figure binding by machine is more durable, even if it isn’t as pretty as by hand.
So that’s done, and with time to spare before it gets given away. It’s a relief to have it done, and I’m happy with it.
Bed times tonight were reasonably early, and I was able to start the quilting on this cutie:
I should be able to finish within another few quilting sessions, but with kids, ….. There’s no telling how many days it may take to have the opportunity to sew…. So for now I will just be content with this progress and the knowledge that I’m not finishing this at the last minute. 🙂
Today when I dropped off the quilt squares that I zigzagged for the Wee Boy’s school auction, I noticed that there were still several bags of squares to be done. So I took another bag home. This is my favorite.
You see, most kids used one or two triangles or circles, but this kid went all out! What a fun quilt square!
Of course, that set me on a good course to continue on the Wee Boy’s quilt, and I managed to sew all the squares into strips this evening.
As you can probably tell, they haven’t been pressed yet, so of course they’ll look nicer later. But I think it’s turning out cute, or, as he says, “cool.”