Yesterday I somehow managed to get in a lot of sewing time! I mended three pairs of jeans, two shirts, and a jumper.
I sewed four lavender eye pillows and a pair of pajama pants. I’ve made these pajama pants before, but this time I added two inches of length at the top, which makes them much more comfortable. It’s an old McCalls pattern I bought at SCRAP a while back. Tried and true!
Today, on the other hand, was all about cooking and baking.
I made (all vegan recipes here) cranberry-orange muffins, apple -cinnamon donuts, lemon poppyseed muffins, and apple/pear crisp. (Recipes from Happy Herbivore, Southern-in-law, Big Vegan, and Oh She Glows. There was also orzo salad, and Lentil Joes.
Phew! I’m glad to be out of the kitchen! I cooked so much partly because I was hungry, but also because I’m starting a new schedule this week which will have me out of the house early and having muffins and other such easy-to-take-along foods will come in handy. I ran out of energy to make granola bars, but I have some focaccia dough rising overnight… 😜
ALL of them, if you apply yourself!
I started with a little beading….
Moved on to knitting….
Then some sewing prep….
And some beach time. It was a decent Saturday!
Tonight I finished my Flax sweater! The poor thing was laid aside for a few months while I studied for tests and favored non-fiddly knits (the pattern isn’t fiddly, but I alternated skeins, which is fiddly on sleeves!). I couldn’t resist one just-finished selfie:
The yarn is Miss Babs Yowza in the color “Tardish.” The pattern is Flax by Tincanknits.
I’ve been on a serious bear kick lately. A day or so ago, I finished Ood Bear (my 92nd). I made the dress by doubling leftover sock yarns; one gray, one sparkly gray and purple. The maroon yarn is leftover from the Wee Boy’s Dr Who Halloween scarf.
And here she is with 5 other recent bears, ready to get packed up and shipped to Minnesota!
As you can see, I’ve started making them a little shorter lately. I think they’re cute that way. 🐻
Here’s my most recent bear, Nyssa!
I’m very happy to share that I’ve overcome my troubles with my Ishbel Shawl and am close to finishing!
If it goes well, I may finish it tonight!
Yesterday a friend mentioned that she and her daughter might attend the Moana singalong today at the Castro Theater. I thought that sounded pretty great, so after dinner last night, I got to work on outfits for me and the kids. I managed to make everything from materials I had in my craft supplies, etc. I didn’t spend a penny!
I started with Moana’s flower crown. I cut leaves and flowers, hot-glued them into some elastic, and added details with puffy paint.
Next was Moana’s top and belt. I trimmed and hemmed a red scarf (left over from our Dr. Who Halloween!). Then I painted the prints and sewed beads on to stand in for the shells.
First I sewed Velcro along the back edges, but it was too saggy so I inserted elastic into the top casing. The skirt is a white scarf from Goodwill- it had been intended for a costume in the past but we had ended up not needing it. Lucky!
The Boy was going to be Maui, and I sewed him a leaf skirt last night, but he changed his mind to be Hei Hei. O-kaaaaay, so I improvised his costume with felt, elastic, hot glue, and face paint. The head piece was the most challenging part, but I ended up using a stiff piece of felt, curved the bottom to match the curve of his head, and sewed it onto a piece of elastic. I cut out chicken feet and talons and pinned them onto his jeans. There were very few Hei Heis at the singalong, so he got plenty of attention.
I tried to channel Moana’s grandmother with her hairstyle and basic fashion, with a flower made of felt and a sarong I bought in Bali years ago.
Voila! Last-minute DIY Moana and friends!