Almost there…

Having been fighting a rather persistent cold for the past few weeks, I took most of last week and all of this week off from the gym.  This gave me some really great chunks of time to work on my Super Secret Project.  It’s a project that tends to take a lot of time and space, and as it’s something of my own design, it also takes a lot of mental power, of which I don’t always have a great supply.  WELL!  Thanks to a few days of intense attention, it’s almost done!  I just need to do a few more steps and it’ll be ready to share.  YAY!

I hoped to share a photo of my French Toast’s debut out in the world (albeit mostly covered in a coat and scarf), but wordpress is not letting me.  Ugh.  Here’s a link to its project page on Ravelry, where I’ve already uploaded a few new pics. http://www.ravelry.com/projects/mhenry/french-toast

Hope you had a great Saturday!

 

 

Back to normal?

Well, after a few days of frustration with WordPress, it looks like I can insert photos again.  We get so used to instant gratification these days that it is actually kind of nice to take a break from the constant digital connections sometimes.

However, I did want to show you the plethora of baby hats I’ve been working on.  In total, I whipped up 8 Magic Coffee Baby hats in 11 days, while the Rainbow Marley (from a previous post) took me 2 weeks, on and off, because I found it so boring.

2 of the Magic Coffee hats aren’t pictured because the mama-to-be had her baby shower last week and I wanted them to arrive in Minnesota on time (they did!).  I sent 2 more off today, but I plan to make a few more items for the last mom on my list before I send her hats to her.  I have two left over that I’ll probably donate.

There are some scraps left over, but I think instead of more hats right now, I’ll put them in my bear yarn stash.

image_small_best_fit

And….. in bigger news, last night at Knit Night I finished my French Toast sweater!  It fits great, although I wouldn’t mind if it relaxed slightly from blocking.  I soaked it in Eucalan and now it’s lying flat while I think about evaporation.  I’ll get a better photo when I can.

image_small

Now that the sweater is done, I have wound the yarn for my husband’s requested socks, and I’m trying to figure out if I have the right yarn for a hat to squeeze into the last few days of Cablepalooza.  I have my eye on the pattern Hermione Hearts Ron.

Sunday knitting

As usual, the kids were pretty squirrelly this afternoon and needed to get outside. Luckily it was a nice, sunny day, so we went to Stow Lake in Golden Gate Park for some tree climbing. They lasted about two hours, and I was able to finish another baby hat while supervising them. 

 
After bed time, I was able to put in a few rows of the hem ribbing on my sweater. With the continental purling, it’s slow going, but I’m getting there.

I’m having trouble with adding photos to my post! WordPress is being weird on my phone and my computer, so no photos today. I hope to figure it out soon!

    

 

Almost French toast!

Yesterday I finished knitting the second sleeve of my French Toast sweater, and tonight I knitted the 1/2 inch of neckline ribbing. The bind off was supposed to be a “sewn tubular” bind off, but I found that it wasn’t that stretchy, it was tedious, and it didn’t look that good, so I frogged back and just bound off loosely in pattern.

  I think it looks fine. I only wish I’d known about continental purling earlier- it would have made the center cable panel much nicer. Oh well. At least my ribbing is snug and neat.

 Speaking of ribbing, the last bit of work on this sweater is to re-knit the hem ribbing. You can see a little in the above photo how the hem flares a bit. I don’t like it! I’ll go down to the needle size I used for the sleeve and neckline ribbing, and do the magical continental purling to neaten it up.

 
I forgot to take a photo before I started frogging, but I bet you excellent crafters can see the difference in the ribbing. If all goes well, this sweater will be washed and blocked within a day or two!

More magic coffee!

Today I had more than usual daytime knitting opportunities, so by the end of the day, I had a new Magic Coffee Baby Hat completed. 

 

knitting in Golden Gate Park

 
This was knit with bulky and worsted weight yarns, so it’s bigger than the sizes in the pattern.

  
I added a Pom Pom to make it a bit more big kid-like.

It’s been a fun challenge to use up very specific yarns on just this one pattern. I still have enough left for at least three or four  hats, I think. I’ve decided to forge ahead and use all this yarn for Magic Coffee Baby Hats. What I don’t send to family and friends, I’ll donate to organizations that are collecting handknits for refugees. 

many possibilities!

Skeining, plying

Tonight I finally skeined the white alpaca I spun last year.  

 
It’s about 561 yards. I have the same weight in brown alpaca, so I hope it spins up similarity so I can maybe do a colorwork sweater or something to that effect.

With spinning on my mind, I started plying the brown singles I recently spun.

With a start like this, maybe I should make some spinning goals for 2016….