For the past few days, at least! I’m in the quilting ZONE!
The Wee Boy’s quilt is coming alone nicely. Late last night, I ended up with this arrangement for the back.
tentative layout for the quilt back
I tend to be very set on using scraps, and only scraps, for the back, so it ends up being more work than the quilt top! Oh well.
This morning, I went to the Wee Girl’s class to help the kids with their quilt squares for their fundraising auction quilt. Then I came home and made heart appliques to apply to each square. Phew! I’m glad their class only has 21 kids.
Then, while the kids watched a movie this evening, I was able to piece together the back of the Wee Boy’s quilt. Here it’s pinned together (it took two tries!) and ready for quilting.
I was also able to do several rows of quilting, but considering the late hour, I thought it best to turn the sewing machine off, in order to not disturb the downstairs neighbors.
And I also made some moisturizer! My skin has been getting really dry lately, and the moisturizer/sunscreen I try to use in the morning only makes it worse (I blame the zinc! My face doesn’t tend to agree with moisturizers that include a decent amount of sunscreen, especially ones that include zinc). I’m trying to drink more water and wear hats and sunscreen, but I thought a super moisturizing cream can’t hurt…
You know when you’ve knitted something for someone far away but you can’t send it off until you get good photos, because you don’t know if the recipient will ever take any? Well, finally today the stars aligned and the Wee Girl took these for me:
This is the Little House Shawl, knitted up in Madeleine Tosh DK in Manor. This was a really enjoyable little project! It starts with 396 stitches, so it gets smaller and smaller, and I felt like it went really quickly.
It’s for my sister, who is the biggest (grown up) fan of Little House on the Prairie. I imagine her donning it to watch the show… Although it turned out so pretty, it’s hard to part with.
In other news, I tackled the Wee Boy’s quilt today and made great progress.
I’ve done some work on the back as well, but not enough to show you.
Today I worked on the Wee Girl’s class quilt for her school’s fundraising auction.
I’m understanding how inexperienced I am with quilting, as today I realized I need two more yards of the red fabric in order to complete the back of the quilt.
Big oops, but there’s still plenty of time. With a quilt for our home, I wouldn’t be as stressed, but because it’ll be an item up for auction in front of actual people, so concerned with it looking good. Worrying too much, I’m sure…
On a lighter note, I went to Green Apple Books this morning on a birthday shopping mission. I found the books and t-shirt I wanted for my husband, and also found some fun/interesting/hilarious items that did not come home with me.
Today didn’t involve much beyond laundry, cooking, the library… So I though I’d share something random, frustrating, but kind of funny.
You may have seen some of my recent photos of bath bombs in the making:
They were to be included in goody bags yesterday, but I had to make three batches, with the final being the best and fizziest. However, I left the pan drying in my sunny bathroom and while I was doing something or other in the kitchen, someone snuck in and poured some water on them.
Luckily I still had enough, but I wasn’t too happy about it. Grr!!! Lesson for Mom, put things UP to dry.