Sewing with kids, and sleeves!

In preparation for our 1st grade crafting date, I tried out a few more wee stockings.

IMG_6969.JPG
They looked fine, so we kept our plan, but also took along some felt, just in case, it turned out that one kid chose felt, so it worked out. Here are the kids’ projects!

IMG_6977.JPG
It ended up that the kids/moms chose their fabrics, traced and cut them out, and I sewed them up on my machine. In one case, a sewing mom did it herself, and in several cases, a 1st grader pushed the foot pedal while I “steered.” Everyone was happy with their results. However, I will definitely keep felt in mind next time, as it was the easier to work with, and the results were neater.

I blocked my Honeybee cardigan on the needles last night, and found it to be more than long enough.

IMG_6964.JPG
So I started the sleeves!

IMG_6978.JPG
But…. These would be MUCH too big! My wrist circumference is about 6″!! So I did some math and decided to cast on 44 stitches instead of the 76 as the pattern directed. So far, so good. They fit and look fine.

IMG_6979.JPG
Pretty good for a regular old Saturday!

Sewing with kids, take one

Today the Wee Girl and I did some prep for a small crafty party we’ll attend tomorrow with a few other first grade classmates.  My plan was to prepare a super easy sewing project that the kids could quickly finish.

IMG_6947.JPG

Scraps galore!

The plan is to make these cute quilted stocking ornaments, which the kids will sew up by hand..   http://stumblesandstitches.blogspot.com/2011/11/tutorial-scrappy-stocking-christmas.html

The Wee Girl and I had a pretty good time putting together different variations from my scrap fabrics to make palettes for our friends to choose from.

IMG_6951

AND!  I let her use my sewing machine by herself.  (She’d shown interest in a toy sewing machine she saw in a catalog, but I convinced her that it’s better to learn on the REAL THING, and then I had to be true to my word, right???)  I didn’t even hover, which was a really big deal for me.  IMG_6949.JPG
Our test run was not what we’d pictured, but maybe I’m being too perfectionist about it??  To be super honest, the hand sewing wasn’t so easy for her, nor was the tracing and cutting.  Hmmm, maybe those parts will be closely supervised by the moms?  Or should I take my machine along for the kids to try out/me to whiz through the stockings?  It’s only 3 kids, after all…

IMG_6953.JPG

Trial run!

Last-minute Thanksgiving sewing

This morning I got it into my head to whip up a wine gift bag for a dinner the kids and I were heading to. I chose this green leafy fabric I’d bought on impulse (those tempting remnants!!!), and some sweet bird ribbon.

IMG_6932.JPG
While I was at it, I thought I’d do a few at the same time for those rare occasions I gift wine to someone. It was a good idea, considering how the first one turned out!

IMG_6933.JPG.
Big oops, with the ties at the bottom of the bag instead of near the top!
I’d deviated from the pattern, thinking that I’d made enough similar bags to know what I was doing. Ha!!! Luckily I fared better on the second one.

IMG_6934.JPG
After dinner, I did some power knitting on my Honeybee Cardigan. Ughhh I’m getting so close but not quite to the underarms!!

IMG_6946.JPG
I probably need at least two more pattern repeats before a preliminary blocking to see if it’s long enough. Power through!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

NaKniSweMo….

Oh my, I somehow thought it was still the 20th of November or so. No way will I finish this cardigan in November, but I’m still making some serious effort! I’m up to 10 inches. I think I’ll block (on the needles) at 14″ and see if that’s long enough.

IMG_6910.JPG
I have hopes that this sweater will grow quite a bit with blocking, which would be great, because knitting it isn’t that much of a treat. It’ll be pretty, though.

Drum carding!

Today the Wee Girl and I attended an ice skating birthday party! It was my first time in over 10 years, her first time ever!

IMG_6809

In fiber news, I got hold of a friend’s drum carder today and started in on my Cormo locks. It’s pretty fun and so much faster than doing it by hand!

IMG_6829.JPG

First I cleaned out the fiber that was still there from previous projects, nice clean slate to start!

IMG_6831

The batts I made are so, so fluffy and soft!!!

Not much left, but this amount I worked on today is only half of what I have! I ended up with about 7 batts.  I might separate them and run them through one more time, but spinning from these batts would be just fine, too.

IMG_6832

I’m so excited to have my hands on this drum carder!  After trying to prepare the locks by hand, with hand carders, with a comb, trying a local wool mill, I was ready to give up on this last spinning project of 2014!  But I’m sure I can finish this project by the end of the year, hooray!