Almost finished, x2!

I powered through the last bit of quilting today, now all that’s left is to make and attach the binding!


You can see that there are mistakes and imperfections, but I’m happy with my first quilt! And the weather has been cooling down, so I suspect we’ll be grateful to have it on the sofa soon!

Also on the works, I’ve been sewing a German-style dress for a cultural heritage celebration at the Wee Girl’s school this Saturday.

school this Saturday.




I’m so close to finishing! But I sewed the gathers a bit sloppily on the back, so that should get fixed. Anyway, it’s better progress than I’d hoped for. ūüôā

Crayon and Giants crafting

Before I was fully awake this morning, I fixated on using tiny crayon bits to make heart-shaped crayons.

I’d always wanted to do this, so I could never bring myself to throw away even the tiniest bit of broken crayon. After baking at 350 for maybe 12 minutes (checking every 2 minutes), they seemed to have melted.

After a few hours, I popped the new crayons out of the silicone molds and oh! They’re pretty!

Later on, very last-minute-like, I whipped up a knitted headband for SF Giants’ Day at the Wee Girl’s school tomorrow.

IMG_6119.JPG (pattern is nothing special, I just CO 8 sts with size 9 needles and knitted garter stitch til it looked long enough, then sewed the ends together. Then I knitted a flower from the headband in Stitch n Bitch Nation, and sewed it on. This? Along with a black t-shirt (no Giants gear for kids was left on the shelves at Target! None!) will be her outfit for tomorrow.

A Jayne hat

A few days ago I had a voicemail from my brother-in-law, requesting a Jayne hat for Halloween. How could I say no??? I asked a Jayne hat-knitting friend for yarn colors or possible leftovers she could spare, but she delivered much more than that!

All that was left for me were the ear flaps and Pom Pom! In about the time it took to watch Mulan, I finished it!

I can’t wait to see the costume in its entirety!

Hand carding, or rather… trying to.

The other day I mentioned the large amount of locks in my possession, the last spinning project of my 2014 goal. ¬†It’s proven harder than I thought. ¬†First, the procrastination because it’s something new. ¬†Second, how the heck to do it!? ¬†I’ve sat down once or twice to just try to spin them, but they are somewhat mixed up and twisted together, so some organizing is in order.

Today I borrowed a pair of hand carders from a knitting/spinning/sewing/every-craft-imaginable friend, and dug out my spinning books.



I tried “combing” the locks with the hand carders. ¬†That was hard. ¬†I tried carding them. ¬†That was also hard, and the result wasn’t exactly a rolag. ¬†The pile of locks didn’t seem to be getting smaller, even with this fetching mermaid helping me.

So much to do!

So much to do!  And this is only HALF of the locks!

At the end of my efforts tonight, I had this basket of would-be rolags, and a pile of combed locks. ¬†I would say that the combing was more successful, but it is going to take some major effort/time to get it all of the locks in spinning condition. ¬† One of my books also suggests a fine dog comb, which I think might be easier for me. ¬†Maybe I’ll seek one out.

Results of tonight.

Results of tonight.

And here, for your viewing pleasure and to end the day on a positive note, is a gratuitous photo of San Francisco Bay that I took this afternoon.  There seemed to be some kind of sailing class taking place.  Sometimes the boat would capsize, and it was pretty exciting to watch.

Gratuitous photo of San Francisco Bay.

Gratuitous photo of San Francisco Bay.